Friday, June 29, 2007

virtual mama


When I left in June 2006, Nikki was really a baby still. I nurtured her til that day. Then, she knew how to waddle around like a little duck. The thought of it just brings a smile to my face. "Whoa, whoa, oh, oh!!!"...would escape from the mouths of those following her. She was so unsteady on her feet it seemed she would fall flat on her face. Nikki is two years old now. I think I have become the virtual mom to her. She has gotten so used to seeing me online through the webcam and says, "Hi mama!". Though thoughts of how she would actually react to seeing me in person always play in my mind. This would be for later though. I am just happy to make this connection now. Picture an empty apartment with a woman sitting in front of a computer and belting out Barney's old time favorite songs, among others. That's me. Nikki loves Barney. She also loves music. I am tickled pink as she makes up her own words as she sings along a song. Not only a budding songbird, she can't keep herself from dancing to the beat. She has discovered the power and independence of movement. She runs, jumps, tumbles, crawls always with squeals of delight and frequently to Jun's growing anxiety. "Mama, hindi naman ganito kagulo si Maxine nun, d ba?." Ah, the joys and perils parenthood... I have to admit, I feel my heartstrings tug everyday.

No comments: