Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Alive


The Demon. Sounds pretty frightening. To an eight year old, it does so 100%. That was precisely how I felt when I was in line for my very first roller coaster ride at Great America, Sta. Clara, California. I don't recall what made me decide to go for it or was it that someone or something that prodded me to. What I do remember is my heart racing, my body literally trembling and my lips quivered as I spoke. I was jelly when I slid in the seat. When the ride slowly started, I seriously thought I was going to pass out sometime soon.
As the speed picked up, I let out a good scream. That felt good. Totally alive. I am not dead. It was fast, seemed like a blur. It was a blur through two vertical loops and a corkscrew. I was exhilirated. I rode the Demon at least four more times that day. Since then, I have been hooked.
Fast forward to 2007.
Just yesterday, I relished the Sky Screamer in Marineland park at Niagara. This is a totally different ride. I was strapped down to an open seat that was literally shot up the height of a 450 feet tower. Is this how astronauts feel as they launch?
There was a lot of screeching noises. Was this thing going to malfunction? I had my doubts. However, for about 15 seconds, all motion is suspended at the top, a visual feast with a view of the majestic falls. And just when I was soaking in the scenery...screech, screech, crank, crank. What awful noises. A heart stopping prelude before we plummeted to the ground. AAAAaaaaHHHHHHhhhh! And it seemed forever that I was in gravity's mercy.
My heart was in my throat. My mind a complete blank, all I knew was that screaming meant, "Yes, I am alive!"
That was a different kind of rush altogether.
I want to go again!

2 comments:

Mec said...

bloghopping from i forgot na where... :)

anyway, i rode something similar in HK once... i love scary rides... i love heights... i'd love to try those rides for sure! wehehehe...

pero ok, not siguro right now that am preggy pa...

Wandering Mum said...

oo...definitely a thriller ride in the non-pregnant state :)