Wednesday, June 6, 2007

conjugal chronicles


I have not been a good wife. How can I be? I am half way around the world!!!
Now, before any minds start wandering off to what I may be possibly alluding to (and it does involve THAT!)...I also mean that I have totally neglected reaffirming Jun's unconditional love and support while I have been wallowing in my misery and discontent. He is always there, quietly listening to all my rantings and crazed self-pity. Not once did he say, "I told you so!" (coming here was my choice, after all) A huge part of my gripes is the fact that I don't get to do the stuff I used to do for my kids.

A week before Maxine's enrolment, I was all over Jun.
"You have to check if Maxine's uniforms still fit. Ask Narcing. Check Maxine's PE shoes and socks. And, oh, her PE pants and shirt."
"Make sure you get a list of her books and school supplies, you can get everything at the commissary."
"Be there early, enrolment would start at 8am. You have to be there at 730am so you don't have a long line to deal with..or else, it will take you the whole day. Ikaw din."
And on and on...yada-yada-yada...
A lesser man would have balked...and hung up on his end. Jun took it all in stride.
"Ok mama. Relax ka lang. Ako bahala."
I was relentless though.
On the day of the enrolment, I was calling Jun on his cellphone. It was 7pm Toronto time and so, 7am Manila time. No answer. I called over and over again. Missed calls...I forget how many. I knew it!! He has probably overslept and still in dreamland. The whole day will be wasted waiting on lines!!
I was getting all worked up.
At 845pm, my phone rang. It was Jun.
"Hi mama. Tumatawag ka ba?"
"Asan na kayo? Nakaalis na ba kayo sa bahay man lang? Tell me that at least."
I try hard not to sound irritated.
"Ano ka? Tapos na kami....as in sa lahat, uniforms, books and all. Kumakain na kami ng breaskfast sa McDo."
I failed to give him any credit. Needless to say, I felt so ashamed.
I used to get kid a lot that I have four children, counting Jun. He was the playmate to them and I was the disciplinarian.
Somehow, it got stuck in my head that only I can take care of things.
My man is there. He has risen to the occasion and is doing a fantastic job.
I am so proud of him.

1 comment:

Marj and Carlos said...

You should give him credit, all guys like that sort of affirmation. Now if only I could remember that piece of advice myself :P Masyado kasi tayong OC. Kaso mas OC ka lang sa akin. Hehehe.