Monday, June 4, 2007

bonding time






When Maxine came here, there was certainly enough of a reason for me to get going and see Toronto. Believe it or not, I have been here for about ten months when she came and all that I have been to were the outlet malls of Mississauga and of course, the Eaton Center. Me, a shopaholic? Not so, I am a professed window-shopper though. Being the mother that I am, my mind does a quick mental conversion of how anything would cost in Philippine pesos...that is usually enough to turn me off any purchase.
Anyway, back to our mother-daughter adventures.

Of course, we had to go to the bookstore and wherelse but at the "World's Biggest Bookstore" which is just two blocks from where we lived. I will not forget how her eyes lit up at the sight of rows upon rows of books. I have no doubt that she could have pitched a tent there and spent the night. Even more so though at the Disney Store...I think we went there a dozen times!! If she could only haul all the stuff she wanted to buy there, I think she would have!

On one Saturday, I purchased a TTC all day family pass. We got off at every possible subway station to discover what was there. That was fun and certainly, I got to learn more about the geography. We wound the day up at the Harbour Front Center. What a lovely view. It was a clear crisp day.
A visit to the Toronto Zoo is a delight for any child. Not a great idea though for any mother who is post call. I had a vision of animals in cages and I could sit loungingly in the benches. I didn't know what I was in for. Turned out it was a kilometric hike! More like 3 or 4 kilometers as the animal exhibits were spread out, mimicking their habitat. It was in the last week of April and on that day, it felt like the first real day of spring. The sun was out and for the first time, I was sweating. Gleefully, Maxine would grab hold of my hand, lead me to the next animal in the path, strike a pose, coax me to take a picture then dart off to the next. Just to slow her down, I made her read the captions posted by the animal exhibits. She read them but quickly though. That was a gruelling 5 hours in the Zoo. I know my feet would remember.

The Science Center was equally awe inspiring. Thankfully, it was indoors. Walking was part of the deal but at least it was in airconditioned comfort. We would dart in and out from exhibit to exhibit. It surely is a treat for the imagination. From being a bob-sledder to being a gymnast on the balance beam. Making our won stop motion animated movies to learning about the environment and the world. Maxine particularly enjoyed the "hair raising" electricity show.

What Toronto trip will be complete without a visit to the CN Tower? It was a lovely sunny day went we went. All the way up to the skypod. The view was certainly clear from the top. Certainly, a favorite with Maxine. We went twice. A mother can only indulge her daughter on too few occasions.

But the all time favorite would be Niagara Falls. It was beautiful and grand. The Maid of the Mist ride was certainly not just misty. It was wet-wet-wet. But who cares? To get so near to one of nature's wonders...a little water did not hurt at all. Maxine and I were hand in hand along the promenade, and then sat among the tulips...it was priceless.

Perhaps Wonderland the next time?
























No comments: