Sunday, June 24, 2007

instant headache relief

The day started out terribly...I had a headache that threatened to split my skull in half (really, I was near bashing it to the wall). My brain felt like it was just getting too swollen for its bony confines and that my arteries were just uniformly pulsating and nearing to burst. Aaarrghhh...Damn. Damn. Today is Wonderland day. Wonderland is Canada's touted mecca for thrill rides fanatics...and that I am devotedly so. The timing for this darned headache couldn't be worse! And just like any fervent devotee, I had to make sure that I wouldn't miss this pilgrimage. I took 4 Advil. I will deal with the gastritis later.
It was a sunny day out...too sunny. I am glad that I had only a week before bought this aviator type sunglasses and effectively shielded the blinding rays that would otherwise have made my headache worse. Man, though I am in pain, I look cool.
And we arrived at the gates. I could hear the park's theme music playing repetitively...memories of the Enchanted Kingdom song haunt me.
From the outside, I can see a freestanding arched structure at the top bow of which three people were sandwiched in what seemed to be a straightjacket. They were literally hanging from the top and no net below. One arm pops up and pulls a cord and weeeeeee!!!! they were altogether swinging up in the air with gravity as their master. It was a bungee jump in threes and now a pendulum in motion. Extremely awesome. I am so going to do that. My headache a story of the past.
8 hours. 15 rides. The exuberant 8 year old kid in me reigned.
I never knew that one can ride a roller coaster in so many different ways.
Sitting down, standing up (honestly though putting on the restraints made me feel like Hannibal Lecter), flat on my tummy, flat on my back, suspended from above with feet dangling.
I just have to make special mention of "The Fly". It looked like kids stuff...the cars looked like the pastel coloured token rides at Glico's. They were 4 seater cars that go off one after the other. No roof, no walls and you only had a horizontal bar that keeps you in the seat..memories of the catterpillar rides, perya style. The roller coaster track is circuitous with sharp U turns one after the other all about 30-40 feet up in the air. Plus there is this amazing drop at the start of the ride. I swear this ride gave me chills. It was fast and it felt like the car was going to tip over at any time especially going through the U turns. OMG! I have figured why it is called "The Fly". It felt like your car was going to fly off the track at any time. Will I do that again? YES!
Did I get to ride the Hi-flyer, bungee jump thing? Now, that is a whole other story. With my aviator shades, what do you think?

No comments: