Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Apartment 809



As you may have very well noticed, I am still blogging despite my detailed stepwise approach for healing. I have done nos. 1 and 2. Steps 3 and 4 entail going out and that isn't happening just yet because of the poorly weather. Step 5 I will do later for dinner.
I am looking around the apartment. It just struck me that I have been wallowing in self misery but literally there are multiple reminders around this space of what I should be thankful for.
When Pat and I first moved into this place, it was bare save for the refrigerator and stove. We had NOTHING! How can we possibly lug out all the stuff we need from Manila barring the two pieces luggage, each 70 lbs, per passenger limit of Cathay Pacific?
Be amazed at how we put our Toronto digs together....all made possible by the generous outpouring from family and friends.
My cozy double bed is from my cousin Ate Mike. Ditto my 2 lawn chairs which are in my bedroom....so what?
My bedside floorlamp which I turn on during winter evenings to keep me warm (Pat and I actually turn the heater off ---too expensive!!) is from my wonderful cousin Titing. Her king sized flannel throw certainly adds to my warmth. In keeping with the theme of warmth, our rice cooker, iron, kettle, toaster oven and microwave comes from Titing and (Nanay) Ate Inggay.
The dining chair I sit on now, and the table on which my laptop rests, is part of a 4 seater dinette set, from Pat's tito and tita. To complete our dining experience they gave us cutlery, plates and cookery. More generous of a hand out is our complete sofa set -- a three and a single seater -- which has been our bastion of rest after a hard day's toil, just too tired to clamber further in to our beds.
Even our phone was a donation! Our clock radio, TV/DVD system likewise. A flower arrangement even!
I am truly humbled by their overflowing generosity.
And the list goes on and on...how all these wonderful people helped to make us a temporary home -- but for which, I would speak for Pat as well I think, we are both hugely grateful for.
Iba talaga ang Pinoy! Salamat po sa inyong lahat.
Thank you Lord!

1 comment:

joman said...

hi girl! i totally agree with you! IBA TALAGA ANG PINOY! here in down under, i've also been witnessed to the overflowing generosity as well as the warm hospitality of our kababayans. and i am doubly impressed because they do so to someone who is virtually a stranger. i came here with no family, relatives nor friends. now, after a couple of months, i've gained not only friends but people who i consider family here. they help me cope with the longing to go back home to my family.
i know how difficult it is for you to be away from your family... nevertheless it is truly a blessing to experience this generosity and warmth from other pinoys in another country away from home...