Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Y'all

While I was staying in Georgia, I had the unique experience of eating breakfast in a Mom and Pop style diner. We seated ourselves in one of the banquettes. At a glance, the place could accomodate probably about twenty people. Freshly baked apple pie was on the counter exciting my senses. A jukebox in the corner was playing "Time of my life" by the Everly brothers and the employees were singing and laughing with it. The food servers (average age in their mid-40's I think) chewed gum, sported bright red lipstick and tucked pencils behind their ears. The place has its share of regular customers who ordered for their "usual". The southern drawl was thick and pleasant to hear albeit confusing to decipher at times. I ordered what was touted in the menu to be "the most perfect waffle in the world" with a side of two slices of bacon and hash browns. Our order taker, Lynette, yelled over the counter to Carl, the gnarly pot bellied cook sporting a greased up apron and a 5 o'clock shadow. I am mesmerized, feeling transported back in time. My food arrived in true southern style cooking, greased to the nines. What the heck, so what if I was constantly wiping my lips of grease. As we ate, Lynette chatted us up as if we were long lost neighbors. When we rose to leave, "Y'all come back and see us soon, y'hear. Y'all have a nice day." Nevermind the weather, southern hospitality is warm and homey.

No comments: