Monday, August 13, 2007

made my day

I am post call today. I had come home to the apartment and slumped on the sofa utterly exhausted. I woke up numbed 5 hours later. My first thought was about my family back home. I miss Jun, Nikki, Maxine and Lomi. I yearned to see their faces and to hear their voices. I logged on to the internet and sent a text message to my husband. It would be 8am Manila time. He should be up by now. I waited for a reply. Nothing. Hmmm...I sent another message and still nothing. I logged on to the instant messaging service we chat through and he wasn't there. Somehow I felt neglected. He was always so good in getting hold of me. He would always be first. Finally, at about 10am (Manila time) I got a phone card and dialled the all too familiar numbers linking me home. Nanay Linda picked up. Jun was still in bed. He needed to be woken. I felt somehow deflated that he wasn't up and already calling me first. He explained that Nikki did not sleep until about 3am and he stayed up with her. Half the time, he seemed asleep still. I abruptly said I needed to rest too as he did, abruptly bade my goodbye and hung up. I felt dejected and oddly, hurt.
Though I said I needed to rest, I didn't. I was a little riled. Jun was too busy sleeping. What about me? I needed to sleep but I defied it for want of at least talking and seeing them if only online.
I mindlessly surfed the internet, whiling time away. Aimless. I felt empty.
The phone suddenly rang to life.
"Mama." It was Nikki. Her voice piercing straight to my heart. Tears welled up in my eyes.
"Baby, kamusta ka? I love you."
She rambled on, "Musta ka. Good night. I love you." (Jun was coaching her from the background.)
And then together, "Okay, say...I LOVE YOU!"
Say "ba-bye mama, liligo na po ako."
She said, "Ba-bye! Ligo na."
I was a weeping mess at that. Jun gave me something very special. Though I had slighted him earlier, he didn't take that in a bad way.
"Ayan, kahit ang sungit mo kanina...sana mas okay ka na. I love you mama. Kahit hindi ka nagsabi kanina."
Through tears I told him, "I love you too papa. Salamat ha for this."
We counted off, "1-2-3...I love you." and hung up the same time.
I can now sleep with a lightness in my being.

No comments: