Saturday, August 4, 2007

loving the stage

Last May, a number of us hied off to the Princess of Wales Theater at King Street. Phantom of the Opera was playing. I have always been a fan of musicals. I am grateful that back in the PI, Repertory Philippines is such a goldmine of talent showcasing memorable productions. Topping my list are My Fair Lady, Miss Saigon and my all time fave, Les Miserables (I watched this 5 times!!) Somehow, I find myself feeling strongly and bawling over the song "One Day More". I guess because it is my personal anthem nowadays.

But I digress, back to Phantom.
I was expectant of something grand as we entered the theater. I was not disappointed. The music was flawless, the actors' voices crystal and powerful. Poignant were "Think of Me" and "All I Ask of You". Completely immersing was "Music of the Night" and "Point of No Return". "Masquerade" was a stunning visual feast. When it ended, I yearned for the music not to stop. As we stepped out in the cool breeze, we found ourselves all humming to the music. The memory of the experience lingers in me and even now, a few weeks past, I can still feel in my being the haunting notes as the organ played to the melody of "Phantom of the Opera."

I have found a fellow Phantom freak in one of our staff consultants who generously gave me her copy of the 2004 movie version starring Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum. For those who cannot see the actual musical on stage, the movie is an exact depiction, almost as powerful as relishing the scenes in the theater.

If there is a regret I have, it is not having had the chance to see "Wicked" when it showed here. "Defying Gravity" is a favorite of mine. I hope there will be another time.

I am now looking forward to watching "Dirty Dancing" which will start playing in November. When "Dirty Dancing" the movie came out, I was a high school freshman. I barely remember the storyline. To my delight, there was a dvd sale at the nearby Best Buy and I got a 20 year anniversary DVD for 6.99 CAD. I now have full appreciation of the music and what the hype was all about from before. I cannot wait to see this on stage. I wonder how they will present practicing the lifts in the river?

Lastly, what I am enthused about is watching my all time fave Les Miserables at least once on the Broadway stage. I only hope that I have enough time to catch Lea Salonga as Fantine.

No comments: