Monday, August 13, 2007

reel better than real

Part of the job I do is antenatal counselling to parents. Basically, if there is a woman in preterm labor or should there be any other pressing issue about a would be newborn, I gather myself up to talk to the parents about what our shared concerns would be about their forthcoming baby and what we can do to best manage it medically. It is not easy. I meet these people for the first time and what we have to talk about is usually far from being pleasant. Why? Imagine a scenario wherein an expectant mother goes into preterm labor at 24 weeks gestation and I would have to give the spiel about what are the likely things to happen and what our medical recommendations would be. The picture I paint is not rosy at all in terms of acute and long term outcomes. That is real. And really puts a load on me as the harbringer of bad news.
Usually I wind up the talk by saying that it was very nice to have met them but that hopefully her labor would get controlled and then if they don't see me again soon, that will all be for the better of us all. With this, at least, I get some smiles back. I proceed to tell them to feel free to ask any question they have in their thoughts and I would do me best to answer them. One time, there was a father whose wife was in preterm labor at 30 weeks gestation and with twins!!
Father seriously asks, "There is one thing, I need to know."
"Yes? By all means shoot."
"Do doctors really live exciting lives like in Grey's anatomy?"
Now, that is all reel.

No comments: