Tuesday, October 30, 2007

the day Lomi was born

Lomi turned 11 years old yesterday, October 29th.
Good God, has it been that long?

I was a medical intern, tired after a 24 hour call. It was October 28th. Instead of getting some zzzz's, I freshened up and went to a despedida for my brother in law at Dad's Mega Mall. After the extremely satisfying buffet, I had felt some tightening of my huge belly. Upon reaching home, I felt this heaviness and went straight to the bathroom. Gush! Uh-oh, my water broke...my heart skipped a beat as I had a fleeting panic that my baby had come out with it. He didn't. Whew! I stepped out and Jun was waiting. He had already been uneasy and even more so upon seeing that I was quite drenched. His eyes met mine and I saw his panic. "It's okay. We just have to go to the hospital. Let me change first."

We drove to Taft Avenue en route to Manila Doctors Hospital.
"Crap. My admitting orders...it's in my Harrison's at the call room."

My blockmates Kendrick, Jun S and Noela went on a frantic search for it. I think they almost turned the shelves over and still couldn't find it. Whatever. They blew kisses as Jun drove me away from PGH.

We arrived at the hospital after midnight. It was October 29th. After enduring labor for 19 hours, Lomi was ready to come. So I was told.

Push. Push. Push.

Lomi had other plans. I guess he was all excited and had a run of fetal tachycardia.

I had my c-section at 1930H. Lomi was born at 1948H.

Feeling woozy out of tiredness and the morphine, I heard him cry. I have never felt happier. When he was brought to me for bonding, I found myself tearing up over this little miracle.

Eleven years have passed. Mama na siya. Is this the same baby that Jun was eagerly cradling in his arms and dancing to sleep? He wouldn't be able to do that now. He certainly has grown. But he certainly is still my baby.

No comments: