Tuesday, October 2, 2007

let there be light

This morning, I was blow drying my hair in my room and Pat was doing some ironing in hers when something very unexpected happened. I couldn't believe it when it did.

My hair was still wet and the dryer just stopped. I thought I had pulled the plug accidentally but it was still snug into the wall outlet. I heard Pat exclaim, "Brownout?" Huh?

It turned out, a fuse blew and our bedrooms and more importantly, bathroom, had lost power. I sent an email to our super to attend to it and promptly got a reply that the building maintenance people would see to it within the day.

I came home rather late from work. As they say, when it rains, it pours. I had to attend to a 25 week triplet birth and a near term hydrops baby. It was pushing 7 pm when I saw the outside world again after being cooped up in the unit. It was already getting dark. My thoughts were only on a long, soothing hot shower to ease my aches and pains. I dropped my stuff onto the sofa. Going in to the bathroom, I flipped the switch and still no lights! Crap!

Imagine my dismay.

However, this did not dim my plan of a leisurely evening. I will not be deterred. I let the water run in the bath. I lit my tea lights. Lovely. It was better than what I had imagined. Now this is the life.

If only candle power could make my hair dryer come to life too.

No comments: