Sunday, October 28, 2007

sleep

I am having the pleasure of a lull. It is 0437H and have just attended the delivery of a 36 week IUGR infant. I am winding down the hours to the end of my 24 hour shift at 9am. No sleep yet for me. Sleep was once an elusive commodity when I came here. Partly because of the busy nights on call but also because it took some getting used to being alone in bed. With November just around the corner and winter at its heels, I can definitely use the feeling of a warm body to snuggle with…my kids, my hubby. But I make do with down filled pillows and a personal heater at my feet.

I have a double bed but I only sleep on the left side. A friend of mine had told me to relish having the whole space to myself and lie right smack in the middle. Thoughts of the Vitruvian Man go into my head. I tried to do that the other night but found myself going back to my preferred fetal position, again on the left side of the bed. I wondered why that is.

And so I came across an article about sleep positions. It really is very interesting. Apparently, I am in the majority. 41% of 1000 people prefer the fetal position in sleep. People who are tough on the outside and yet soft on the inside (sounds like a commercial). I have no clue what the science is behind these interpretations, but if you are curious, check this site out http://www.flatseats.com/General/positions.htm

Didn’t I say I had a lull…it’s over now. A kid just self-extubated.

I look forward to sleeping later.

1 comment:

Marj and Carlos said...

I like being in the fetal position but in the middle of the bed :P