Tuesday, September 4, 2007

smokey mountain

Just today, I had done two lumbar punctures, inserted umbilical lines and a chest tube. Not that I am keeping count of what skills I am acquiring / honing. What I am running count of is the ridiculous amount of wasted medical supplies I encounter day in and out. Take for example, in performing the LP's, a whole LP set is opened up each time. A set includes a manometer, stopcock, gauge 22 spinal needle, tubes etc. I really only get to use the sterile disposable drapes and the tubes for the specimen. The needle I use is the good and old reliable gauge 25 syringe needle. So basically, everything else...manometer included is waste. Just two days ago, I had ordered surfactant for a 500 gram infant just born and would only require 2.5 cc's. After the 2.5 cc was drawn, the rest of the 7.5 cc was ditched!!! OMG! And unopened angiocaths, tapes that fall to the floor would not be picked up...it will go straight to the trash. I find myself wanting to collect all these and send them back home...sort of like being a scavenger in a smokey mountain pile of medical waste. I can hear strains of "Paraiso" in my head...

1 comment:

Marj and Carlos said...

Jsut collect them. Nothing wrong with that. Ganun talaga di ba. Mahirap maging poor.