Thursday, July 12, 2007

pick up at the drugstore

I was at a local drugstore last week. I was running low on hair care supply and needed to replenish. My timing could not be more perfect. They had my brand on sale at 2.99 CAD from the usual 5.99 CAD. Great. I was lost in decision making. Hmmm...should I be getting the cleanse and mend shampoo combo with the moist conditioner or just take the combo moist shampoo and conditioner...my thoughts were deeply engaged. As you can see this was serious. A woman's hair is her crowning glory after all. Then came a voice from nowhere.
"So which is the better product?" Huh? It was a Caucasian guy holding a different brand shampoo, clean cut, probably in his mid-twenties or so, with a nice smile. Kinda cute.
I said, "It really depends on what you are looking for."
To which he said, "Your hair's great." I preened at that.
"Well, thanks. If you think my hair's great, try my brand then." And I left it there, moving away as I got back to thinking which purchase to make.
"So, would you like to go for a cup of coffee? You're not with anyone now, are you?"
I was completely taken aback but kept my cool.
I replied with a smile, "Oh, that's very nice of you to ask (then flashing my wedding band) but my husband is just coming to pick me up in a while. I'm married. Thanks anyway."
"Oh, ok. Really, I didn't think you were...didn't mean to trouble you. Have a good day." He was smooth and he stepped away.
"Have a nice day yourself." My smile further deepened almost into a laugh as I thought to myself, he would have been really floored had he known that I have three kids as well.
Funny. Of all the places to strike a conversation and attempt to hook up. Hmmm...but it felt good to be appreciated in a way. So glad this encounter happened on the day of my birthday. A boost for my ego as I turned a year older. Who knew?

No comments: