Monday, July 9, 2007

kitchen tales

Today I had felt different.
Truth to tell since Maxine and my parents left in May, I lost all taste for cooking much to Pat's dismay. I have subsisted on ceral, milk and granola bars. Any cooking (and I use this term loosely) I did only involved frying spam, sausages, weiners or bacon. Does using the rice cooker count?
Since two and a half months ago, I had not ventured into Chinatown til this afternoon. I picked up some meat, chicken, chayote, bok choy, string beans, snap peas, strawberries and longgan. What am I going to cook? I have no idea. I can make the the old reliable sinigang, adobo, nilaga and tinola. Apart from these, I make my "no name" recipes. These are one time dishes I make by tossing some ingredients together and voila!..a creation (surprisingly edible each time) that I may never replicate again. One such example is a peanut sauce I had made to go with some steamed spinach. Maxine liked it so much that she was asking for me to send her the recipe via email so she can ask ate Narcing to make it for her. Now, the problem with that is...duh!
So what did I make tonight? Well, to actually go to market was a big step. I wasn't feeling at all that exuberant to experiment in the kitchen. See if you can guess...pork let to boil in water, with tomatoes, bok choy, string beans, radish and patis. Getting warm now?
Bon appetit!

2 comments:

nel tejada said...

HI donski!

It's nice to know you still have the touch, the scribe genius i met eons ago. I see your use of food and cooking as a cathartic endeavor, i do the same thing though instead of cooking I eat hehehe. Hang in there my friend you will be finished with your trainig soon then you will be home with your family again.
It is true life would be much easier if our path has already been laid out before us. No crossroads, difficult choices, but it would be soooo boring!!
Our lives as it is, give us a chance to discover, exprience and most of all feel.
Whew! Enough of the "oprah moment," a far cry from our Bonga days, don't you think so?
Happy Happy birthday dearest friend. 34 isn't too bad, look i'm halfway through and so far i'm surviving (as much as i hate to admit it yes yes you are one year younger).

Love you,
nel

Wandering Mum said...

hi nel,
thanks for visiting my blog. i haven't unleashed all the ala-oprah senti ko or else i will end up looking like a big moping mess.but it does feel great to write down stuff however nonsensical they may be at times.
regards to mario.
labs u too.