Wednesday, July 18, 2007

conjugal chronicles issue 2

Being a parent is the most difficult job. That's why I figure, God made it so that there would be two parents for every child. A tag team partnership...mom feeling low? dad will take up the cudgels and vice-versa. So I can just imagine how doubly difficult it is for single parents. This is exactly the situation Jun finds himself in now. When I was in Manila, together we played different roles in our children's lives. Now he has adapted to mold all of those in himself (he really tries). It is incredible to hear stories of how he had yet survived (barely at times) another day. From trying to curb Lomi's insatiable appetite and his kakulitan, to Maxine's at times confusing emerging "tween" phase and Nikki's evolving ambition it seems of becoming a stuntgirl. And these are just on the surface. He told me one time, "Hirap mama. Dumadami na puting buhok ko." We had a deal in the past before I came here to Toronto. At any point in time that he asks me to come back for any reason at all, I will go. No questions asked. I feel for him. "Do you want me to come home na?" "Hindi mama. Ikaw naman. Tapusin mo yan. Nagsasabi lang ako pero kaya pa." He may not be the man of steel but he is my man of mettle.

No comments: