Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I am not ready for a new relationship

On December 20, a vital part of my existence (at least while I am here in Toronto) died. I am talking about my 3 year old Dell laptop. She has been my reliable link to the world and more importantly, to my family back home. A year ago, she suffered a minor meltdown but after appropriate therapy, bounced back. But this time, it is the motherboard and I'm afraid the inevitable has come. It pains me because I made a commitment to a DIY upgrade (from 512MB to 1.256 GB RAM and 80GB HD to 160 GB HD) and we've been happy for months now. I went to Best Buy for a diagnostic just in case I was wrong but my suspicion was confirmed. At that time, I was still mourning my loss. I was caught off guard when the Best Buy geek said, "If you buy a new laptop now, I will waive the diagnostic and data extraction fee." And he waved an in-store flyer at me. "Whoa, I completely am not ready for this. I need time. I don't want to make a hurried purchase...it'll be like I am on the rebound, y'know." Boy, that sounded nuts but I said it anyway.

PS. My recovery didn't take long. I am waiting for my new Lenovo to arrive. Here's to a more lasting relationship.

No comments: