Monday, October 20, 2008

school's back (breaking)

My 10 year old, Maxine, is a wisp of a thing. She is tall but lanky and lean. She weighs about 55 lbs. On the few occasions that I was able to pick her up from school, I saw how much she leaned forward and used her weight to counter the load that is her back pack. Oh, and she carries an envelope bag and her snack pack of course. Her face is a picture of grim determination...a few more steps to the gate..... And believe me, once I reach her, I get her bags and my legs, on a few occasions, almost gave. And it was torture for the back and the neck. I don't know how Maxine does it. But I could not bear it. The bag she uses now is a salmon coloured Samsonite with generous padding but still I don't think it is quite cut out for the job. In the course of the day, she would also go up and down the stairs apart from covering the distance of two courtyards to get to the gate to her classroom.
So today, I got Maxine a new bag. I know she has said that she will not use a wheeled bag. The reason? She's in the fourth grade. Not prep nor grade 1 or 2.


She can't possibly use a wheeled aparador bag embellished with all those characters that I've pointed out to her from store to store that we went to. She, after all, is now one of the older kids in her schoolbus. Ah, yes, the tween age. Image before comfort. But I did better. I got her a covertly wheeled backpack with the sleek pull up handle. Best of all, unlike other wheeled bags, the mechanism was not heavy at all. And I could not believe my luck, it was pink. I can't wait to hear it now..."Mama, you are great."...the only thing I strive to be for my kids.





No comments: