Wednesday, October 1, 2008

of death and taxes

Buhay pa nga, pinaghahati-hatian na. How distasteful it is to ask, let alone talk, about acquiring one's inheritance from ancestors while the latter are still living. Ang gahaman naman. Such is the Filipino way of thinking. This is my impression.
The truth is though, not one of us will live forever.
Another truth is, even in the time of overwhelming grief over a loved one's passing, the government will, sooner or later, come knocking. May nabuwis na ngang buhay, papatawan pa din ng buwis uli.

However, Jun's family is not like any other Filipino family. They openly talk about anything. No holds barred. It was his parents who brought up the matter of distributing their properties while they are still alive. My father in law is a practical man and together with my mother in law, they had a family meeting and let their children discuss / deal / compromise amongst themselves. Harap-harapan.

That makes sense. I am working my tail off for my kids. What could be more gratifying than for me to still be around to see them actually have and enjoy what I have toiled for. And not the government, Lord knows where they spend tax money on. Morbid as this may seem, but Jun and I are preparing. Whatever we acquire, our kids' names will be right there as owners as well. It will certainly make it less painful having not to deal with deathly death taxes.

No comments: