Sunday, February 3, 2008

I am back

It is 4 in the morning and I have been up for about an hour now. My body clock has yet to adapt. I got up in the semi-darkness. Living right in the heart of the city, the illumination of the bright lights of the buildings around us never makes for pitch black where I am. At the foot of my bed, I can clearly see the outline of my two pieces of luggage. I have not unpacked. I told myself that I would do it on Saturday and along with doing that, re-arrange and re-sort my stuff. But Saturday has come and gone, my bags are still asking for relief of their contents. Secretly, I am deluding myself into thinking that my bags are there ready for me to go back home again....for good this time. Wishful thinking.

I unlocked and unzipped my trusty green samsonite. With a smile, I am amazed at just how little amount of clothes I actually did pack compared to the foodstuffs that were given to me as "pabaon". I collect the 6 boxes of pastillas that my parents sent me as "pahabol" along with "polvoron". Also out came the 10 cans of Ligo sardines in chili sauce which I always crave for. Hey, to get it at PhP 15.00 per can compared to almost $2.00 CAD each, this is indeed a treasure. Hmmm..it seems somebody has stuck in a box of tikoy as well. Wow. Kung hei fat choi. From my red hardside Heys maleta, I collected 5 rolls of cacao tablea. I have always been a big "tsokolate" fan. I only will now have to get "malagkit" to enjoy a nice bowl of "champorado". And yey, my packs and packs of Lucky Me Beef Mami and Pancit Canton. These noodles are such lifesavers. But most prized of all are the different seasonings I brought back. Nilaga, sinigang sa sampalok at sa gabi, paksiw, ginisa, kare kare, afritada, menudo, tocino and tapa marinade. Mental note: I guess this means I have to pay a visit to Chinatown then.

Alright. Almost everything is out now. I am here in Toronto. Sitting on the floor in my bedroom. Surrounded by all the "padala" and "pabaon."

Reality bites. Ouch.

No comments: