Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Toronto winter work out

I got off work early today. It is Ash wednesday and I meant to get to the 530pm service at St. Mike's. As I made my way towards the hospital's doors, I realized that it was snowing. Heavily this time though. The outside was a white haze. With each step I took outside, I felt my booted feet sink in to the freshly fallen snow. Deep. Deeper. What a work out. Despite the cold, I felt myself getting warm underneath my layers. The howling wind sounded sinister and its strong gusts nearly toppled me over one time too many. As I focused on taking each step, I felt ice pelting my face and it built up on my lenses making visibility close to nil. I was plodding on in zigzags like an aimless wanderer. I heard the church bells ring out. I am near.

A man who had gone in the church before me held the door open. Aaaahhh. Sanctuary. Sanctuary for my aching muscles and bones. Sanctuary for my soul. Thank you Lord!

No comments: