Wednesday, March 5, 2008

de-briefing

As part of our reality checks in the fellowship, we were entreated today to a half day of "letting it out." The frustrations, the difficulties, the moral distress, fatigue, inexplicable demands and expectations...and the list goes on and on. A bull session of sorts. I did not really speak up but I soaked up what my co-fellows had to say. It is comforting to know that I am not alone in what I feel and experience. But I am not writing this now to enumerate the many cruxes of this fellowship I voluntarily allowed myself to get wallowed up in. At the end, one thing that our facilitator advised us to do is to list down three things that went well in the previous 24 hours and three things that could have been done better. A form of self reflection, a catharsis of sorts. So let me see. I am post call today.

Hmmm...three things that went well. Let me start with one first.

Just as I had clocked in for my night call, an overhead anouncement resonated. "Code OB! Code OB!" This meant that there is a stat delivery and either mother or baby are in peril. In this case, it was the baby. Limp, blue and not breathing. Palpating the cord, I counted 8 in a 6 second span. 80 beats per minute. I went straight to bag mask ventilation. No more tactile stimulation. I needed to get this baby breathing. The father was just standing over my shoulder. In less than 30 seconds, the baby was taking breaths and giving timid cries.A couple seconds more and the baby was pink and crying. Dad was teary eyed and thankful. If he only knew how thankful I was too. Thank you Lord. A disaster was averted.

I am still thinking about the other stuff. Or maybe I will turn in already. Tiredness has set in.

Mental note to me: Be mindful of my everyday occurences.

No comments: