Saturday, March 15, 2008

evolution

When I first set foot here in June 2006 to pursue my training, it was summer. The climate was a temperate 24 to 28'C I think. Titing, my cousin who graciously took me in the first couple of weeks, would laugh at the sight of me. She would be in her shorts and I would be wrapped in a sweater. I would tell her, "Eh hindi naman ako balat Canadian 'no! Balat Pinoy ako."

Now, after having braved and lived through 5 or 6 snowstorms (they say this winter is record breaking with the amount of snowfall so far) and chilling in temperatures as low as -25'C, I welcome the fact that we are finally getting temperatures over the freezing point. Today was a pleasant 6'C. I am sure last winter, I wouldn't bear having the heater off. I wouldn't have been able to bear going about without at least three layers on. This time it is different. I ventured outside wearing my shirt and jeans, topped by my wool coat. No scarf, no gloves and no hat. I felt free. And oddly enough, not cold.

Am I finally molting into my Canadian skin?

Well, clearly, I am still in the process of evolution. A number of native locals have already taken to wearing shorts! I remember last year, when the temperature reached 10'C in the spring, I spied a number of bikini tops and tanks worn in the outside. Crazy Canucks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.