Sunday, March 23, 2008

spaghetti sauce with sugar

I woke up decidedly early today. It is Easter. Also, it is Nikki's third birthday. I felt pangs of guilt as I, the mother, am in Toronto while her party was in full swing. Jun did not really think about getting a party together seeing that I am not around. But he pulled through at the last minute. Our two other kids had parties through their seventh birthdays. I wouldn't want Nikki hounding us about breaking traditions (sort of), years from now, just because I am unavailable. I have too much guilt already.

So, I made my way to the kitchen and knew exactly what I would make to honor this day. Spaghetti of course. A Pinoy birthday would be incomplete without it. Okay, okay. Some would argue that Pancit is the staple. But you have to admit that since Jollibee, the spaghetti seems to have ousted it. Either way, both dishes use noodles which is really the essence of the thing. Long noodles....long life. And the garnishes, the flavors to life.

Onions, garlic, green pepper, mushrooms, ground beef, tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt, pepper, mozzarella cheese. Anything else? O yeah, the pasta. My mind wafted to a different time as I begin chopping away. My memories bring a smile to my lips.

It was my Family Medicine and Community Health rotation during internship year. My group (Francis, Jom and Nette) was going to cap our stay and express our gratitude to our barangay by throwing a small party. Of course, what could be easier than spaghetti? Naturally, we also had barbecue, hotdogs on sticks with marshmallows, cake and ice cream. Come to think of it now, it sounds like we hosted a children's party. Where were the Boyoyong clowns?

I digress.

I was in charge of making the spaghetti. It was a big task. We were going to feed a multitude. I was going to cook them up the best spaghetti (classic meat sauce with meatballs) they ever tasted. I made sure I had my oregano. It was a hot day and I was already sweating it out. Our housemother would peek in from time to time but we would shoo her away. Finally, it was ready and I called her back in to give her first taste. I was proud. She made smacking noises with her lips and tongue. She proceeded with a very interesting comment, "Aba'y di mo ba sasangkapan ng ke-chap?" Huh? Francis and I looked at each other. And then it struck me they wanted sweet spaghetti sauce. Pinoy style, Jollibee style. Uh-oh. "Wala po kaming ketchup." She then miraculously produced a whole gallon full of UFC. And started to pour it in to the huge vat of my sauce. I think my jaw dropped open. She stirred and stirred. Tasted again. And then darted to her cupboards outside. This time, she brought in a bag of sugar. I was horrified. I have never seen spaghetti sauce with sugar, let alone ketchup. But I just stood there transfixed. And finally, she said,"Ayan, tamang-tama na. Sarap ng sauce mo."

Remembering now just brings me chuckles. Back to present time. My sauce is coming to a slow boil and I let it simmer. I sing "happy birthday Nikki" quietly in my mind. I call Pat. "I made spaghetti." As she was to help herself, I said, "I did not put sugar ha." A look of incredulity shadowed her face. "San ang asukal natin?" I begin to laugh. Am I just one of a few who does not get this sugar in sauce thing? Or am I totally alone?

1 comment:

nbf said...

Putting sugar in pasta sauce is a really bad habit. It desensitizes the taste buds to sweet taste. Also the combination of sugar and fat is more fattening that sugar or fat alone.