Sunday, April 5, 2009

a shopping hazard

I went over to the Winners branch at College St. Winners is like Filene's basement, designer brands for less. I was hunting for two things in particular -- 1. a luxurious 800 count queen size sheet set (which I found for 79.00!!) and 2. a yoga mat (which I did not find but wound up instead with a pilates kit complete with figure of 8 ring and instructional DVD). I also wanted to get a pair (or two) of new khakis, in time for spring. Alas, a size 1 or 2 is a hard find in this part of the world. I did not give up so easily and the shopper in me wandered all throughout the store. Goodness, where did three hours go? I snapped out of my shopper's trance and made the beeline towards checkout. The guy infront of me had a pair of gray sweat pants in his hands. I spied that it was torn and had some dirt at the hems. Hmmm... Those sweats are either real cheap or is the latest rage in some odd fashion circles. Dare I alert this fellow customer to the consumer faux pas he is about to commit? His turn came up with the cashier. I was just about to call his attention but not before he reached from the inside of the pants he was wearing. It was a price/security tag. Ahhh....the dirty sweats are his, and now he is wearing his new pair. The checkout lady insisted that she needed the pants to unlock it from the security tag. Uh-oh. Without any qualm, the man pulls his new pants down and hands them over. Yikes!! He sought my eyes as he did his strip. I looked at him pointedly and raised an eyebrow, giving him a look that a schoolteacher might have given a naughty pupil. He shrugged back at me, got his pants back and sauntered away as if nothing happened. Thank goodness he wore boxers...easier to act unperturbed than if he was wearing jockeys. Whew!

No comments: