Saturday, April 4, 2009

breathe to your poses

Last month was harrowing for me. On average, neonatal transport requiring a fellow's attendance is three a month. I went to eleven. One of these days, I will make like a tourist and take pics of the equipment and huge packs we lug around...it really is a portable NICU. There is an adrenalin rush each time we are dispatched. However, out of the run, I feel my body complaining. It seems that each way I turn my neck and back, I hear a crack or crick or whatever. Tales of my woes reached Sabrina, a friend and an RT I work with in the team, and she introduced me to yoga. Vinyasa yoga. I have always known how I needed to tone up and strengthen but I did not appreciate just how much of a weakling I am...until now. Vinyasa yoga directs breathing as poses are assumed. You inhale as you do this then exhale with the following movement. It is supposed to be calming. My body was not a picture of calm at all. I struggled as I tremulously followed the instructor on the DVD. I swear parts of my body were fasciculating...including those which I thought incapable of any movement at all. Thank goodness, this all happened in the privacy of my apartment. I was in a sweat as I reached the end of the video. My body tingled most everywhere. What was I thinking? Well, now I am hooked...fascicuIating parts and all. I am on my way to pick out a yoga mat. Ohmmmm.....

No comments: