Sunday, June 8, 2008

nikki's tricks

I have a particular memory of Nikki that gets me all tickled pink.

I had brought Nikki along for a shopping trip at Gateway. No yaya. Just me and her. She would be traipsing right beside me and at times, would even walk, skip, hop right ahead of me and then stop and turn around slowly to check if I was still within her reach. She would flash me back a most impish smile then start running towards me. I almost topple over as she jumps for my arms. I felt so giddily happy. It felt so right, like all the planets in the universe aligned and made that perfect moment.

In a store, I was browsing for tops as Nikki lounged in one of the oversized couches. Perhaps she was getting bored and so she darted in and out the clothes racks, half shouting and coaxing me,"Where's Nikki?" She was going to hide out in one of the racks further in the store but on her way, she missed a step down and fell on her knee, her arms shot straight out breaking her fall. Nikki slowly raised her head and peered sideways, trying to get a sense of who had witnessed her mishap. She looked straight at me and I was already on my way to comfort her. I was pretty sure she was on the verge of tears. But still on bended knee, she stretched out both her arms in a diagonal and with much flourish exclaimed,"Da-dan!!" I gave her a much deserved applause.

No comments: