Thursday, June 19, 2008

my acceptance speech - not!

On Mondays at lunchtime, our group of staff people and fellows convene for journal club and more importantly, eat all you can pizza. This Monday just past however, though there was the unmistakably delectable smell of pizza, there was no journal club. It turned out, it was the fellowship's end of the year program. I felt sad in a way because it meant that some of the people I have worked and became friends with are leaving. And also perhaps, they are going and yet I am staying.

Dr. S, our affable and superb programme director, opened the activity with one of his humor laden spiels. "Oh, parting is such sweet sorrow.."

One by one, certificates for having completed the two year programme were handed out. I heard my name and stood up to receive mine. A handshake, a buzz on the cheek, a smile, applause. Not much aplomb at all. So there, technically speaking, I am a graduate. However due to duration of fellowship requirements back home, I am constrained to continue on for one more year.

I sat down again and waited, contemplating on the year yet to come. Other sorts of recognition awards were being handed out. I just clapped along with everyone else. Dr. S was talking about the final award of the year. I heard parts of it. I was chatting with my seatmate, a colleague and now friend from India who will be on her way home soon.

"every year, this award is always lengthily deliberated on.....this year though, the decision from all three sites (i.e. the three hospitals we, as fellows rotate through) was impressively unanimous....this fellow truly is much deserving, and she has come a long way.....and so the trainee of the year award goes to....and then I heard my name...."

I was so stunned. Pat would later tell me I looked like I was going to cry. I admit to a tremedously weighty mix of emotions and could only wish my family was there. I stood up amid applause. Still dumbfounded. As I approached my boss, I said, "You have got to be kidding." And he half seriously replied, "Oh, I thought I was right unless I mixed it up...darn, let me check the name on the plaque..of course, dear, it is yours. We don't joke about a thing like this." He handed me the handsome looking plaque and gave me a big bear hug. He also showed an even bigger plaque, which I have espied in the HSC NICU many times before, to which my name has been added to a list with the names of previous honorees. Now earlier, for the Teacher of the Year Awardee, Dr. S had joked that the envelope he handed over with the plaque does actually now contain the 500 dollar bonus and not a mere promisory note. So, after Dr. S's repartee chronicling my fellowship "highs", as I received my award and envelope, all I could blurt out was, "So, is this also for 500 dollars?" Not even was I able to stammer out a thanks. My mom would have clobbered me. Everyone hollered in laughter and I sat down. More unreal was the line of people making my way and offering their congratulations, and to which of course, I automatically say, thank you.

I still felt bothered about my "acceptance speech" and so to redeem myself (and make my mom..and dad proud), I sent him an email later.

Hi M,

I just wanted to say thanks. I totally did not expect it. Ergo my completely dumbfounded stance. And of all things to blurt out, "Is this also for 500 dollars?" Now, what I really meant to say was, I am utterly honored by your vote of confidence and trust. And no amount will equal to the wealth of the quality of learning and training I have earned (and will keep on earning) from this programme.
I am truly indebted to yourself, all the staff people and my co-workers.

Cheers,
D

I received a quick reply...

Congratulations - hope you found the cheque, anyway!!!
Much deserved.

Best wishes,
M

Ok ba bumawi? He really is a sweet man.

Kayod na naman uli.

No comments: