Sunday, June 8, 2008

chinatown finds

I had gone for palengke at Chinatown. My first excursion out since I moved. Since it is a fresh start, I bought all the Pinoy kitchen necessities. Datu Puti Suka, Marca Pina Toyo, Lorins Patis, bagoong. I lingered in the greens aisle and decided on sitaw, bok choi, spinach, sayote, coriander among others. I was tempted to buy golden, juicy looking Philippine mangoes (goodness though they were 5 for 10 bucks!!). Two tilapia (for 10 dollars!!) found its way to my basket and then some pork spare ribs (for barbecue, sinigang, adobo, pork steak). A dozen chicken wings completed the purchase. I did not expect to get so carried away. I stuffed as much in to my own recycled shopping bag (I care for the environment!!). The rest (and I meant the fresh meat) had to go in the plastic bag. Still, it was quite a load to carry. I made my way outside. It is summer alright. The sun was out in its full glory and made sure that everyone felt its warmth, rather, heat. This was going to be quite a trek.. 8 blocks to be exact. Ay-yay. I berated myself for not having brought my rickety shopping cart.
It was not all bleak. A familiar bell ringing out on the intersection called my attention to the street car. I went to the corner and stood waiting for the next car. I eagerly boarded into the airconditioned comfort. I sat in the back of the car and thankfully set my bags down. As I was getting settled, there was a tisay Pinay with bug eye sunglasses (tutubi shades) dressed in a grey jersey knit dress approaching my way. "Hi Miss", she says and sat down beside me. Weird. She then sat sideways toward me,"Hindi mo talaga ako nakikilala?" Even weirder. She took her glasses off. Surprise, surprise. It was Nel, a dear high school barkada of mine. We threw our arms around each other in a warm hug. Had I been more attentive, I would have noticed her hubby, Mario, just tailing her. They were in Toronto, from Chicago, for the weekend. Nel had thought of looking me up but time was short as they were flying out tonight. It seemed fate had wanted us to meet. Armed with a TTC day pass, they were hopping in and out of the street cars, making their own tour of downtown. Mario had spotted me from afar and they went in pursuit. What a happy coincidence. We spent the afternoon re-connecting.
They do say you can find just about anything or in this case, anyone, in chinatown.

No comments: