Wednesday, May 28, 2008

he understands

Before coming back to Canada, I made sure to brief Lomi way ahead.
Once I was sure of my date of departure, I started to point to that day in the calendar and tell him, "Mama Donna will ride airplane. Go back to Canada, live in Canada." He would say nothing but just smile, even laugh a little. As if it was a private joke.
I woke up one morning about a week before I had to fly out. Lomi was sitting by my side. He had just woken up as well and was rubbing his eyes. In his fragmented speech, he said, "Mama Donna, finish (gesturing with his left thumb up and moving it from side to side) Canada. Live in Quijote." I was speechless. I gently said,"Lomi, sorry. Mama has to go eh." He makes a noise of irritation. "No, Papa Jun ride airplane. Go to Canada. Mama live in Quijote." I let it go. Yes I sure did. Here I am once more.


No comments: