Thursday, May 29, 2008

first day in school

For this summer, we had signed up Nikki in her first endeavor to the realm of the classroom. She just turned three in March and we thought it was time for some formal education. (Enough of Wowowee and the likes.) Okay, it was more of an art and read-along class. But still, she would mingle with kids her age and was introduced to the concept of "teacher" (read: someone who hopefully she would see as "the boss").
She had six other classmates. And on the first day, 4 of them were bawling even before teacher asked the parents / yayas to leave. I looked nervously at Nikki, afraid that she would start crying herself (the "hawa" effect). "Nikki, mama will go ha. Give me a kiss na." She didn't budge. Uh-oh. She sat in stony silence. I waited with bated breath. Nothing. "Mommy," it was the teacher,"sige na po." That was my cue. I gave Nikki a quick kiss and hug then went towards the door and out.
If I had a camera then, I would have gotten a nice shot of parents craning their necks and edging each other over the door's glass window. When I finally inched some space and peered through the glass, I saw Nikki looking around. She is looking for me. My poor baby. She is probably unsure and is scared (what with all the crying around her). I wanted to go in and hug her. As I was making my mind up on what to do, Nikki saw me. Still seated, she raised a thumbs up, winked and smiled at the same time. Whew. That's my girl!

No comments: