Thursday, May 29, 2008

hannah montana (in me)

The Hannah Montana concert movie opened while I was still in Manila. Maxine is an avid fan. She knows all the songs and watches the series like a religion almost. Lizzie Mcguire is now a remote memory I guess. So, I thought it would be great for the two of us to watch the movie. Quality mother-daughter time. I really had no idea about Hannah Montana other than the songs Maxine would belt out. I found out more as Nikki, upon seeing the show on Disney would point out repeatedly, "Ha-motana." Nearing the movie date, I was somewhat familiar already with the series and some of the songs.
It was a source of discomfiture to wear the 3D glasses. I had to keep on pinching the frame to my glasses for it to keep still. Maxine was doing the same. Regardless, I could see from the corner of my eye that she was starting to mouth the songs and even bouncing a bit on her chair. When she found how to balance the 3D glasses over her prescription lenses, she had her arms across her chest though still singing softly.
"Maxine, it is a concert. It is okay to sing along more loudly and feel the music. Stand up if you want to." A group of tweeners was already doing that further back.
She gives me a look. "Mama..." As if I told her a most perverse thing.
"I will stand up with you....heck..Best of both worlds..." I started to sing.
She shot back a disbelieving stare. "Mama, no."
Two years ago, or even a year ago, she would have. No cares. Just enjoying herself.
And then it hit me, mio, nagda-dalaga na ang anak ko.
She will be ten in a month's time.
Like any dutiful mother, I shut up.
As we got out of the theater, I started to sing again.."I've got nerve.."
Uh-oh. She was darting looks at me. Well, I found the Hannah Montana in me.

No comments: