Monday, January 21, 2008

Surprise

In the darkness illuminated by the Meralco lamp post, I saw the familiar white gate of our home. It was already past 11 o'clock at night. The kids must be asleep. Jun handed me the keys to the door which I gingerly opened. Nanay Linda heard the car come in and was about to open the door herself. Upon seeing me, it seemed she saw a ghost.
"Hay naku. Sabi na nga ba! Di ka rin makatitis."
I put my finger over my lips to shoosh her.
I make for the stairs.
Lomi and Nikki were asleep. Maxine was watching a television show.
"Maxine!"
My daughter was speechless. She locked me in the longest embrace and she was uncontrollably sobbing. Jun catches everything on video which has been banned from public viewing.
Lomi slept like a log. And he felt like one as I tried to wake him. One eye popped open. "Hi mama." And off he was again to snoozeland.
I couldn't believe my eyes as I stared at Nikki. She has grown so much since the last time I saw her. Even though I see her on the internet virtually everyday, seeing her made me realize the painful truth that I have been missing out on her growing years.
She was also blissfully asleep. Much to Nanay Linda's protestations, Jun successfully woke her up. When her eyes peeled open, she had the most angelic smile. She was happy to see Jun. "Papa! Papa!"
Jun thrust me forward.
"Look oh, I have a surprise!"
"Who's this?"
Nikki then exclaimed, "Mama! Mama!"
I felt an overwhelming rush of relief.
She knows me. She knows me.
My first night again home. I wish it never ended.

Postscript.
I guess Lomi might have thought he was dreaming when he first "saw" me. I was woken in the morning by the thuds of his footsteps on the hardwood floor. Our bedroom door suddenly opened wide. It was Lomi. He had this most incredulous look on his face. He pointed towards me. "Mama. Mama Donna." He came closer and pressed his cheek to mine, constantly touching my face. Ang sweet ng panganay ko. Sarap to be home.

No comments: